By: Devin Riggs, Regular Contributor
Whether it was the rush of the holidays and family time or the sudden realization that it’s December 2014 and my brain still wants to think it’s 2011, I find myself running behind on a lot of things. My To Do list is stacked high and I’m not so calmly reassuring myself not to panic, but to take each step as it comes.
It’s easy to get overwhelmed by all the deadlines, and goals, and expectations. There is so much going on in my little pocket of the world, and there’s so much going on in all the other pockets and sometimes the pockets spill over into other pockets and it is messy and beautiful and stressful and inspiring.
I am learning to take a deep breath and ask myself, “Self, what is doable for you right now?” “What do YOU want to do?” And as I’m becoming more confident in my voice, “What do you want to SAY?”
Not all of it is fully formed. Some of it is jumbled up with emotions. There are hard sentences. There are soft words. It might not make much sense, and the rest is just me trying to give myself some space to talk and get used to hearing my own voice.
So here’s some thoughts/advice/words of wisdom I’d like to share from my tiny pocket of the world, for anyone that needs to hear them:
- Sometimes it is really hard to get out of bed. Because it’s so easy to stay. Because it is warm. Because it is safe. Because the world is a scary place sometimes.
- You should really get out of bed anyway. Because the world is also beautiful and wondrous and filled with incredible things and amazing people.
- It took a really long time, and I’m finally beginning to feel good in my own skin.
- Relationships are hard. Platonic and romantic. Be patient. Be honest. Be kind. Ask for what you want. What is best for you is probably what is best for the other person, even if it doesn’t seem like it right now. Even if it means heartache and pain. The hardest part is knowing when to walk away. Trust yourself and your heart. Things always have a way of working out. Relationships are hard, and when it’s right, they are worth it.
- Relationships are beautiful. They are laughter and dancing in the moonlight. They are full and exhilarating. They are silly faces and late night phone calls. They are supportive while also challenging. They make you better. And I am grateful for every single one in my life.
- I think I’m finally ready to let go of the past. And I’m no longer sorry about that.
- You are a beautiful human being and this world needs you.
- My heart is with you. No matter what you’re going through. You can do it. You can survive. And you will thrive.
- I am an imperfect person. I make mistakes. Some that I regret, and some that I don’t. My main focus is to not make the same mistake again.
- I love you.
- I hope you have a good day. And if today isn’t going so well, chin up love. Tomorrow is just around the corner waiting for you to take it by storm.
- Speak your truths today, and every day. Tell people how you feel. Ask for what you need. What do YOU want to say?
What bits of wisdom have you collected over the course of this year? Share them with us here!
Devin has a degree in education with a focus in English. She is working to publish her first collection of poetry while also learning the art of patience. Her passions include Doctor Who, penguins, hats and scarves, potatoes, dancing, photography, and making people happy. She believes in the healing powers of music, spending time in the great outdoors, and a good night sleep.
image via livingcourageonline.com