By Dana Zillgitt, IATG ContributorJanuary 13, 2016
image via aceshowbiz.com
As you might have heard, the 2016 Golden Globes was this past Sunday, officially ramping up award season until the Oscars next month. Unlike previous years, this year’s Golden Globes wasn’t hosted by Tina Fey and Amy Poehler; however, there was no shortage of uplifting moments to prepare us for what will surely will be another year of female badassery. Here are just a handful of those standout moments.
1. America Ferrera and Eva Longoria may have thrown the classiest shade ever to be seen at an awards show. The culprit? Hollywood’s long-standing history of mixing the two up with the likes of Gina Rodriguez and Eva Mendes, as well as the unfortunate trend of mixing up famous people of colour.
2. Taraji P. Henson waited decades for a Golden Globe win only to shut down the teleprompter that gave her a 20 second countdown with the line “20 seconds? I waited 20 years for this!”
3. #Askhermore is thankfully gaining traction at awards shows over the past few years.
But the biggest note? Ryan Seacrest asking both Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis about the challenges of raising a child.
4. Lady Gaga may not be known for her acting chops, but you have to admit, it was a huge leap of faith for her to jump into acting with such a popular show, especially after admitting to being a music industry burnout. Kudos to you, Gaga.
5. Kate Winslet has always been a household name for her roles in popular films, but to see her give thanks to the industry history makers AND acknowledge what’s still left to be done was utterly refreshing.
Though the Golden Globes still had its fair share of questionable or even offensive moments (cough cough transphobic jokes, much?), there were still rays of light demanding our attention. This may be just another trend, but it’s one I can definitely get behind and one I’m proud is finally gaining traction.
What were some of you favorite Golden Globes' moments? Tell us below!
Dana has her BA in International Affairs & Spanish as well as a mild obsession with rescue animals and all things caffeinated. She’s mastered the art of the selfie, fort building, and even the sass battle. Plus, she can quote 95% of Anchorman and Zoolander.
Every girl is a work in progress. If you need more help, click here.