Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are often the punch line of jokes and public ridicule on Facebook, Twitter, or TV. But this can create shame around the issue of sexual health, creating less openness, less public knowledge, and less honesty among sexual partners. Talking about sexual health helps fight stigma and promotes more educated actions and decisions.
- Why are we so embarrassed to talk about sexual health and STIs?
- How can we reduce the shame associated with getting tested for STIs?
- Why is there more shame related to STIs for girls over guys?
- What role do stereotypes play in sexual health?
- Share ideas about some ways to ask a partner about STI’s that will help you own it and not feel embarrassed.