By Susannah Hutcheson, Regular Contributor
It has been pouring rain in Texas, y’all. I mean… pouring rain- every day, without fail. I’m one of those people that needs the sunlight- I always leave my blinds open, and I never wear sunglasses. I love the light. It makes me happy. These last few days of dark rain haven’t done much except make me want to curl up in bed and watch Netflix on my computer- but I have to, you know, go to work. I know that it hasn’t been raining everywhere else in the US, but I do know that we all have those days where we need a little more light- whether physically or metaphorically. So I put together a little list I call “Instant Sunshine.”
1. The kind of music that causes other people to look at you weird when they see you hardcore jamming at red lights: A couple of my favorites right now are:
2. A book that you can get completely lost in. Basically, Harry Potter is my go-to every time, but here are some others I’ve enjoyed lately:
- Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (How can you go through life without reading these? They are truly wonderful).
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot (This is one of the best books I have ever read. It’s a true story, and will leave you angry and relieved at the same time).
- Unbroken by Laura Hillebrand (Talk about a page-turner. I couldn’t stop reading this book- it is inspiring and leaves you breathless).
3. A movie that requires at least one bag of popcorn and a box of candy is the most surefire way to cheer me up. From older movies to more recent ones, these are excellent:
- The Breakfast Club (This movie is such a classic. I have seen it probably close to 30 times, and it never gets old).
- The Princess Bride- This is one of the movies that my mom forced me to watch and I expected not to like- it is hilarious, and has turned into one of my top favorites.
- The Other Woman- This is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. The chemistry between the actresses is great- Leslie Mann is a hoot, and the girl power is on point.
4. Your favorite people: This is hands-down the most important one. Spend your days hand-in-hand with girl talk and cups of coffee. Go hang out with your mom, or dad, or sister, or brother. Spend time around people who inspire you to be better, and who love you unconditionally. They are the best sunshine you can have.
Let's chat! How do you tackle the rainy day blues? What are some of your favorite rainy day activities? Tell us about it here!
Susannah is a Journalism major, passionate about social justice and Jesus Christ. She loves cold weather, triple-shot lattes, and macaroni and cheese. When she’s not writing papers or baking cookies, you can find her Googling random things on the Internet or watching large amounts of reality television. You can read her ramblings at ileftamessinthekitchen.wordpress.com, or look at pictures of her coffee on Instagram: @susannah.beth.
images via blogspot.com; pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com; thenypost.files.wordpress.com; ecx.images-amazon.com; ttbyl.net; larkable.com