By Susannah Hutcheson, Regular ContributorAugust 10, 2015
Here's a simple list of ten things every girl should know about herself:
image via hercampus.com
1. Simple things to make you happy: What are the smallest things that can elevate your mood? For me, it’s reaching for a Harry Potter book and a hot cup of coffee. Being able to have something that you can find solace in is innately important
2. How to make yourself your first priority: Taking care of you should be your utmost concern. Whether that be taking a rest day from work or lacing up your tennis shoes, your own well-being should be important to you. Take an extra 5 minutes to check out the blood pressure machine at the grocery store, put down the drink for a bottle of water, or sleep in for an extra hour after a long weekend.
3. What you like: What kind of music do you like? What’s your favorite book? Favorite food? Note that I didn’t say your best friend’s favorite or your boyfriend’s favorite- what’s yours? Know yourself and treat yourself to it.
4. Have your own personal pump up song for those long, drab days: If we’re being honest, my pump up song of the week is “My Way” by Fetty Wap feat. Drake. That song, or the chorus of “Drops of Jupiter” (that song is the jam), can turn around a bad day in a heartbeat.
5. How to calm yourself down: I am a hothead, and I am the queen of letting things ruin my day. My trick for relaxing and trying to forget things is walking to the coffeemaker, stirring my coffee, and taking deep breaths while I wait for it to cool down. It might sound silly, but it works for me. Try and find a foolproof way to relax yourself- whether it be lighting a candle or picturing beach waves in your head.
6. How to have fun without alcohol: I am not in any way saying that you shouldn’t drink alcohol- who doesn’t need a glass of wine from time to time? However, don’t center all of your plans around an increased blood alcohol level. It’s silly and clouds your judgment.
7. How to make yourself feel pretty: Some days, if you’re anything like me, you wake up feeling like you’ve been sleeping in the dumpster all night. Sometimes a spritz of perfume or a swipe of blush can do wonders for my mood. What makes you feel pretty? Whether it be cosmetic or not, know how to feel confident.
8. Your health history: You need to know your family history- does your dad’s side run heavy on heart disease? Does your mom’s side show prevalent Alzheimer’s? Educate yourself.
9. Your purpose in life: Where does your purpose lie? Does it lie in God? Does it lie in love? Does it lie in travel? A little bit of both? Find something to cling to when life gets hard- and when it’s easy.
10. Your own worth: This is arguably the most difficult and important item on this list. Know that you are worth more than gold, no matter what anyone tells you. Know that you are special, and beautiful, and full of life. Don’t let anyone kill your light.
Do you know these things about yourself? Is there anything you would add to this list? Tell us below!
Susannah is a Journalism major, passionate about social justice and Jesus Christ. She loves cold weather, triple-shot lattes, and macaroni and cheese. When she’s not writing papers or baking cookies, you can find her Googling random things on the Internet or watching large amounts of reality television. You can read her ramblings at ileftamessinthekitchen.wordpress.com, or look at pictures of her coffee on Instagram:@susannah.beth.
Every girl is a work in progress. If you need more help, click here.